Eight input, 12-track portable audio recorder with time code. Eight analog mic/line or digital inputs. 250 GB internal hard drive and CompactFlash card recording. External FireWire 400/800, and USB 2.0 support. Includes 4600 mAh Li-ion battery, AC power adapter.
The 788T, with its eight inputs, is perfect for high track count applications ranging from over-the-should reality-style production to cart-based drama production.
Inputs and Outputs
The 788T features eight high bandwidth, ultra-low noise microphone preamplifiers. Inputs feature input limiters, input delay, and selectable high-pass filters. The 788T also accept analog line level or AES digital signals.
Six analog and six digital outputs are available on multiple connector types, including TA3, multi-pin, and 3.5 mm.
Routing and Tracks
Any input can be routed to any of 12 recording tracks. This offers iso recording of inputs plus recording a two-channel mix and two aux tracks.
File Storage and Transfer
The 788T has three options for recording media, internal drive (SSD or hard drive), CompactFlash card, or external FireWire drive. Any or all of these can be used simultaneously.
The 788T can be connected to Mac OS or Windows computers for high-speed data transfer.
Time Code & Word Clock
With its on-board high-accuracy Ambient time code generator the 788T is at home in complex multi-camera sync-sound productions. Use the 788T as the master clock for the most accurate on-set time code reference. All common time code frame rates and modes are supported. Word clock I/O can be used for sample-accurate multi-device connection.
The 788T controls are fast and intuitive with easy to access buttons, scroll wheel, pop out gain and an informative front panel display. The 788T also offers a USB keyboard input for control and metadata editing. The available CL-8 and CL-9 controllers offer dedicated faders and controls for the 788T.
Mix Assist "auto-mixes" the post-fade outputs by automatically reducing, or attenuating, the level of microphones that are not active. Mix Assist helps maintain consistent background sound level regardless of the number of open microphones. It reduces comb filtering and phasing when multiple microphones pick up a single sound source. It also increases gain before feedback when the recorder is feeding a sound reinforcement system.
The CL-8 or CL-9 Controllers enhance the 788T System by adding extensive mixing capabilities, whether working in a production bag or on a sound cart. Along with the CL-WiFi, Wave Agent, CL-1, and CL-2 accessories, the 788T system can be customized for any production sound environment.
- Internal: 32, 44.1, 47.952, 48, 48.048, 88.2, 96, 96.096, 176.4 and 192 kHz
- External clocking: 32–96.096 kHz via word clock or digital inputs
Internal Data Path and Processing
- 32 bit, 192 dB dynamic range
A/D, D/A Converters
- 24 bit, 192 kHz sample rate maximum
A/D Dynamic Range
- 123 dB, A-weighted bandwidth
- 120 dB, 20 Hz–22 kHz bandwidth
D/A Dynamic Range
- 114 dB, A-weighted bandwidth
- 111 dB, 20 Hz–22 kHz bandwidth
Frequency Res. Mic or Line
- 10 Hz–40 kHz, +0.1, -0.5 (gain controls centered, measured at 48 kHz)
THD + Noise
- Mic: 0.004% max (1 kHz, 22 Hz–22 kHz BW, gain control down, -15 dBu input)
- Line: 0.004% max (1 kHz, 22 Hz–22 kHz BW, gain control down, +16 dBu input)
Gain (input dBu to -20 dBFS)
- Mic: Off (0) to 76.0 dB
- Line: Off, -26.0 to 50.0 dB
- Mic (XLR and TA3): 3.3k ohm; Line (XLR and TA3): 3.3k ohm
Input Clipping Level
- Mic input: +8 dBu minimum (gain = 10 dB); line input: +26 dBu minimum (gain = 0 dB)
Input Topology Mic and Line
- Fully electronically balanced, RF, ESD, short, and overload protected; pin-2 hot, pin-3 cold
Gain Matching Mic/Line inputs
- 0.1 dB increments, channel-to-channel while linked
Common Mode Rejection Ratio
- Mic: 40 dB minimum at 80 Hz
- 112-segment (8 x 14), sunlight-viewable, selectable peak, VU, or peak (with or without peak hold) with VU ballistics, variable brightness
- 40-320 Hz in 10Hz steps @ 6/12 dB/oct (Setup Menu selectable)
Mic Powering (Each analog input selectable)
- 48 V phantom through 6.8k resistors, 10 mA per mic available, menu-selected per channel in mic or line level positions
Mic/Line Input Limiters
- Variable threshold -12 to -2 dBFS; Infinite:1 limiting ratio, 2 mS attack time, menu-selectable release time 200-2000 mS, soft-knee starting approximately 6dB below setting.
Line Output Clipping Level
- +24 dBu minimum, 10k ohm load
Output Topology Line
- Fully electronically-balanced, RF, ESD, short, and overload protected; pin-2 driven hot, pin-3 driven cold; let pin-3 float for unbalanced connections.
I/O – Digital
- Balanced AES in 1-8 on DE15 connector 110 ohm, 2 V p-p, AES and S/PDIF compatible with RCA adaptor, AES42 mode 1 compatible and provides 10 V to AES42 microphones
- AES3 Balanced AES out 1-4 on TA3 connector; Balanced AES out 5-6 on DE15 connector 110 ohm, 2 Vp-p, AES and S/PDIF compatible with RCA adaptor
- Internal hard drive SATA interface 2.5-in hard drive 4200–7200 RPM supported, solid-state drive (SSD) support, FAT32 formatted, up to 2 TB addressable
- CompactFlash CF type I, II, and + (microdrive) compatible, UDMA (300x) compatible, FAT32 formatted, up to 2 TB addressable
- Record: WAV (AES-31 format), mono or polyphonic, at supported Fs, 24-bit or 16-bit;
- Playback: WAV (AES-31 format), mono or polyphonic, at supported Fs, 24-bit or 16-bit;
- MP3 @ 32, 64, 96, 128, 160, 192, 256, or 320 kb/s stereo; MP2 @ 64, 96, 128, 160, 192, 256, or 320, 384 kb/s stereo
- Drive formatting and speed test for internal hard drive, CF and external drive volumes
Data Transfer / Control
- FireWire 400: For connection to external drives and computers: IEEE-1394a compliant, 6-pin FireWire, Windows 2000, XP, Vista, 7) Mac OS X only
- FireWire 800: For connection to external drives and computers: IEEE-1394b compliant, 8-pin FireWire, Windows (2000, XP, Vista, 7), Mac OS X only
- USB 2.0: Slave mode only. For connection to Windows( 2000, XP, Vista,7) Mac OS X only
- USB Keyboard Input: For connection to USB keyboards for entering notes and controlling features and functions of the 788T via user selectable keyboard shortcuts.
- Modes Supported: Off, free run, record run, 24 hour run, external time code receive, free run -auto output mute
- Frame Rates: 23.976, 24, 25, 29.97DF, 29.97ND, 30DF, 30ND, 30+
- Accuracy: 0.2 ppm, when tuned with Ambient Master Controller, holds TC clock for 4 hours after main battery removal; after 4 hours, retains time of day
- Input / Output 20k ohm impedance, 0.3V p-p (–8 dBu) minimum / 1k ohm impedance, 3.0V p-p (+12 dBu)
- Internal Sync: internal word clock generator
- External Sync Input: Word Clock, AES3, or Video (NTSC, PAL, and Tri-Level)
- Word Clock Output: Square wave, running at sample rate, 3.3 V p-p, 75 ohm
- Power supply (batteries): operating cell, removable 7.2 V (nominal) Sony L-type Li-ion, operational from 6.5–8.5 V, time code battery, internal 3.6 Li–ion
- Power supply (external): 10–18 V, 1000 mA minimum, via locking 4-pin Hirose connector, use Hirose #HR10-7P-4P (DigiKey# HR100-ND) for locking mating DC connector; pin-1 (-), pin-4 (+).
- Operation and Storage ambient temperature 5–55° C, relative humidity (non-condensing) 80%
- Tone Oscillator: 100 Hz–10 kHz, variable output, assigned to tracks or outputs (menu-selectable), continuious or L-ident mode
Dimensions and Weight
- Size: 45 mm x 257 mm x 163 mm (H x W x D) 1.8" x 10.1" x 6.4"
- Mass: unpackaged: 1.7 kg, (3 lbs 12 oz.) without battery