12-Input Field Production Mixer with 16-Track Recorder and MixAssist
The 688 is a production sound engineer's dream come true - a portable audio powerhouse that incorporates multi-channel mixer, auto-mixer, recorder plus optional SL-6 integrated powering and wireless system. By consolidating these functions, cabling requirements are significantly decreased, de-cluttering the sound mixer's bag, increasing reliability and improving ease of use. The 688 takes the finest aspects of the acclaimed 633, 664, and 788T and creatively combines them with new technology into an unrivaled production audio tool.
Inputs and Outputs
The 688 has six high-bandwidth mic/line inputs on XLR connectors, each complete with phantom power, high-pass filter, analog input limiter and variable pan. Six additional line-level inputs on TA3 connectors offer flexibility for more complex productions.
All inputs are assignable, pre- or post-fade to its eight output buses, left/right plus Aux 1-6. The 688 can send its main left/right mix to three cameras simultaneously via transformer-balanced XLR and Hirose outputs.
The 688's powerful digital processing engine delivers 12-channel auto-mixing capability using the most sophisticated algorithm on the market today. MixAssist automatically attenuates the level of inputs that are not active and helps maintain consistent background sound levels regardless of the number of open microphones. Comb filtering and phasing artifacts are also reduced when multiple mics pick up the same sound source by inteligently attenuating redundant mics.
The 688 offers 16-track, polyphonic or monophonic broadcast WAV file recording to SD and CompactFlash cards. All common sampling rates are supported, including 192 kHz on up to six tracks. The memory cards can be set independently, recording either identical material for real-time backup, or combinations of WAV and MP3 files.
The 688 incorporates exclusive PowerSafe circuitry with smart sensing of available power sources, front panel warning indication of power loss, and an integrated 10-second power reserve that will, in the event of an inadvertent power loss, allow the 688 to safely stop recording, properly end all file operations, and then automatically shut down.
Power on and start recording in less than two seconds. You never have to wait on sound.
Timecode and Metadata
The 688 features a world renowned Ambient timecode generator and reader supporting all common rates and modes. A helpful time code compare utility shows the difference between internal and external timecode. The 688 also generates sound reports and supports extensive metadata, via the front panel or attached USB keyboard.
For a virtually cable free bag, attach this optional power distribution and six channel wireless system. Its three slots provide powering and audio interconnection between the 688 and slot-in receivers plus fully integrated control and monitoring of SuperSlot compatible receivers. With its built-in RF signal distribution, the SL-6 reduces the need for multiple antenna while its NP1 battery slot, USB charging port, two 12 V isolated outputs, and two non-isolated direct battery outputs provide powering for peripheral devices. Read more about the SL-6. Read more about the SL-6.
This optional input controller attaches to the bottom of the 688 and adds six full-sized tactile fader control of channels 7-12, sunlight-viewable LED metering and big, back-lit record and stop controls. When the CL-6 is attached to a 688, the 688's mini-faders, originally assigned as faders for 7-12, switch to trim controls.
- 10 Hz to 40 kHz ± 0.5 dB, -3dB @ 65 kHz (192 kHz sample rate, re 1 kHz)
THD + Noise
- 0.09% max (1 kHz, 22 Hz–22 kHz BW, fader at 0, 0 dBu output)
Equivalent Input Noise
- -126 dBu (-128 dBV) maximum. (22 Hz - 22 kHz bandwidth, flat filter, trim control fully up)
- XLR Mic: Active-balanced for use with ≤600 ohm mics, 4k ohm actual; 12V or 48V phantom power, 10 mA max
- XLR AES: AES3 or AES42 (10 V power), SRC
- XLR Line: active-balanced for use with ≤2k ohm outputs, 10k ohm actual
- TA3 Line: active-balanced for use with ≤2k ohm outputs, 10k ohm actual
- RTN A,B,C (3.5 mm/10-pin): unbalanced stereo for use with ≤2k ohm outputs, 6.5k ohm actual
- Slate Mic (TA3): 6.5k ohms
Input Clipping Level
Maximum Input Level
- XLR Mic: 0 dBu (0.78 Vrms)
- XLR Line: +40 dBu (80 Vrms)
- RTN A, B, C (3.5 mm/10-pin): +24 dBu (12.4 Vrms)
- Adjustable 80 Hz to 240 Hz, 18 dB/oct (up to 96 kHz)
- Fixed 50 Hz, 6 dB/oct (192 kHz)
- Pre-fade (Inputs 1-6): +16 dBu threshold fixed, soft knee/ hard knee, 20:1 ratio, 1 mS attack, 500 mS release
- Post-fade (Inputs 1-12): Adjustable threshold +4 dBu to +18 dBu, 20:1 ratio, 1 mS attack, 500 mS release
- Adjustable 0-30 mS for each input in 0.1 mS steps
- Mic-In to L/R/X1/X2/X3/X4 (Line): 91 dB
- Mic-In to X5/X6 (Line): 88 dB
- Mic-In to L/R/X1/X2/X3/X4 (-10): 77 dB
- Mic-In to X5/X6 (-10): 74 dB
- Mic-In to L/R/X1/X2/X3/X4 (Mic): 51 dB
- Mic-In to X5/X6 (Mic): 48 dB
Headphone Max. Gain
- 63 dB (Line 1-6 input)
- 44 dB (Line 7-12 input)
- 103 dB (Mic input)
- Line (XLR and 10-pin): transformer-balanced, 120 ohms
- -10 (XLR and 10-pin): transformer-balanced, 3.2k ohm
- Mic (XLR and 10-pin): transformer-balanced, 150 ohms
- TA3 (X1-X4) Mic/Line/-10: active-balanced, 240/3.2k/120 ohms
- TA3 (X5/X6) -10: unbalanced, 100 ohms
- Tape Out (3.5 mm): unbalanced, stereo, 1.8k ohms
- Headphones (3.5 mm and 1/4”): unbalanced, stereo, 60 ohms
Line Output Clipping Level (1% THD)
- 20 dBu minimum with 10k load
Maximum Output Level
- Line: +20 dBu (7.8 Vrms)
- -10: +6 dBu (1.5 V rms)
- Mic: -20 dBu (0.078 Vrms)
- Tape Out: +6 dBu (1.5 Vrms)
- L/R and X1/X2, adjustable threshold +4 dBu to +18 dBu, soft knee/hard knee, 20:1 ratio, 1 mS attack, 500 mS release.
- Adjustable 0-417 mS (0-12.5 frames @ 30fps) for each output in 1 mS steps
- 16 tracks (12 inputs, 4 output buses L/R, Aux 1/2)
- Broadcast WAV monophonic and polyphonic file format, MP3 with time code metadata
- 24-bit, 114 dB, A-weighted dynamic range typical
- Sampling rates 44.1 kHz, 47.952 kHz, 48 kHz, 48.048 kHz, 88.2 kHz, 96 kHz, 192 kHz
- AES3 transformer-balanced, in pairs; 1-2 (XLR-L), 3-4 (XLR-R), 5-6, (Hirose 10-pin RTN A), 7-8, (Hirose 10-pin RTN C)
- 110 ohm, 2 V p-p, AES and S/PDIF compatible
Recording Storage Type
- SD, SDHC, SDXC Card, CompactFlash (CF)
- FAT32 formatted (<32GB), exFAT for (>32GB), on-board memory card formatting
Timecode and Sync
- Modes Supported: off, Rec Run, Free Run, 24h Run, External
- Frame Rates: 23.976, 24, 25, 29.97DF, 29.97ND, 30DF, 30ND
- Sample/Timecode Accuracy: Ambient generator, ± 0.2 ppm (0.5 frames per 24 hours)
- Timecode Input: 20k ohm impedance, 0.3 V - 3.0 V p-p (–17 dBu - +3 dBu)
- Timecode Output: 1k ohm impedance, 3.0V p-p (+12 dBu)
- Wordclock In/Out: square wave; 10k/75 ohm, 1-5V p-p input; 75 ohm, 5V p-p output, at SR
- Wordclock Termination: 75 ohm, Off
- External: 10-18 V on locking 4-pin Hirose connector, pin-4 = (+), pin-1 = (-).
- Internal: accepts 5 AA-sized (LR6) batteries, nominal (NiMH rechargeable compatible)
- PowerSafe: 10 second power reserve
Idle Current Draw
- 680 mA @ 12V (8.16W) - inputs 1-6 powered on, CF and SD media inserted
- Operating: -20°C to 60°C, 0 to 90% relative humidity (non-condensing)
- Storage: -40°C to 85°C
Dimensions (H x W x D)
- 5.3 cm x 32 cm x 19.8 cm;
- (2.1 in. x 12.6 in. x 7.8 in)
- 4 lbs. 14 oz. (unpackaged, without batteries)
- 2.21 kg (unpackaged, without batteries)