The 664 Field Production Mixer is the flagship in Sound Devices' line of portable audio mixers. It has 12 analog inputs, four output buses, and records these 16 tracks to both CF and SD cards. This unprecedented amount of I/O connectivity and recording capability makes the 664 perfect for a wide range of production applications.
The 664 has six ultra-low noise, high-dynamic-range mic/line inputs. These transformer-less preamps offer analog peak limiters, high-pass filters, input trim controls, and direct outputs. Input connectors 1 and 6 can be selected to accept AES42 or AES3 digital signals. Six line-level inputs, 7 through 12, are available by reassigning direct outputs as inputs from the Input Setup Menu. With an attached CL-6 Controller, inputs 7-12 have dedicated fader control.
In complex, multi-camera productions, output flexibility is essential. The 664 offers three sets of balanced left/right outputs. Two additional output buses, X1 and X2, appear on balanced TA3 connectors. XLR and multi-pin outputs are selectable to AES3 digital.
The 664 can record all inputs and output buses, for 16 record tracks. Recordings are saved to CompactFlash and SD cards as either 16- or 24-bit Broadcast WAV files. Scene, take, track, notes, and time code metadata are recorded with the file. All popular production sampling rates are supported. MP3 recording is available for transcription applications.
The 664 was designed with knowledge gained from the industry's top engineers and from Sound Devices' expertise in portable mixers. Important controls are on dedicated knobs and switches, while additional features are quickly accessed through the intuitive LCD-based menu control.
Integrated Time Code
With the mixer's built-in, rock-steady Ambient time code generator, multiple devices can operate in synchronization. The 664 operates as either a time code master clock or its clock can be jammed from external time code. A helpful time code compare utility shows the difference between internal and external time code.
CL-6 Input Controller
For applications requiring fader control of inputs 7-12, the available CL-6 Controller adds six dedicated, rotary faders with PFL switches. It also offers additional LED output metering and recording transport controls.
- 20 Hz to 50 kHz, ± 0.5 dB
THD + Noise:
- 0.09% max (50 kHz, +18 dBu at line out, fade fully up)
Equivalent Input Noise:
- -126 dBu (-128 dBV) maximum. (22 Hz - 22 kHz bandwidth, flat filter, trim control fully up)
- XLR Mic: active-balanced for use with 600 ohm mics, 4k ohm actual; 12V or 48V phantom power, 10 mA max
- XLR AES: AES3 or AES42 (10 V power), SRC
- XLR Line: active-balanced for use with 2k ohm outputs, 10k ohm actual
- TA3 Line (7-12): active-balanced for use with 2k ohm outputs, 10k ohm actual
- RTN A,B,C (3.5 mm/10-pin): unbalanced stereo for use with 2k ohm outputs, 30k ohm actual
Maximum Input Level:
- XLR Mic: 0 dBu (0.78 Vrms)
- XLR Line: +40 dBu (80 Vrms)
- RTN A,B,C (3.5 mm/Multi-pin): +24 dBu (12.4 Vrms)
- Sweepable 80 Hz to 240 Hz, 12 dB/oct at 80 Hz, 6 dB/octave at 240 Hz
- Individual limiters on both trim and fader stages, +16 dBu threshold, 20:1 limiting ratio, 1 mS attack time, 500 mS release time
- Unbalanced stereo for linking to MixPre, 302, 442, 552, and 664; 2k ohm impedance
- Mic-In-to-Line-Out: 93 dB
- Mic-In-to-Aux-Out, -10 Out: 79 dB
- Line-In-to-Line-Out: 39 dB
- Line: transformer-balanced for use with >=600 ohm inputs, 100 ohms
- -10: transformer-balanced for use with >=10k ohm inputs, 3.2k ohm
- Mic: transformer-balanced for use with >=600 ohm inputs, 150 ohms
- TA3 Mic/Line: active-balanced, pin-2 and 3 driven, for use with >=3k ohm inputs, 1k ohm
- TA3 Direct Outs Mic/Line: active-balanced, pin-2 and 3 driven, use with >=3k ohm inputs, 1k ohm
- Tape Outs (3.5 mm and TA3-type): unbalanced, stereo, use with >=6k ohm input, 1.8k ohm actual
- Headphones (3.5 mm and 1/4"): unbalanced, stereo, use with 8-2k ohm headphones, 50 ohms
Line Output Clipping Level:
- (1% THD) 20 dBu minimum with 10k load
Maximum Output Level:
- Line: +20 dBu (7.8 Vrms)
- -10: +6 dBu (1.5 V rms)
- Mic: -20 dBu (0.078 Vrms)
- Tape Outs: +6 dBu (1.5 Vrms)
- Affects analog output. Threshold selectable from +4 dBu to +20 dBu, 1 dB steps, 20:1 limiting ratio, 1 mS attack time, 500 mS release time.
- 16 tracks (12 inputs, 4 output buses), monophonic or polyphonic Broadcast WAV or timecode-stamped MP3
- 24-bit, 114 dB, A-weighted dynamic range typical; 44.1 kHz, 47.952 kHz, 48 kHz, 48.048 kHz SR
- AES3 transformer-balanced, in pairs; 1-2 XLR-L, 3-4 XLR-R, 5-6, multi-pin 1, 7-8, multi-pin 2, 110 ohm, 2 V p-p, AES and S/PDIF compatible
Recording Storage Type:
- SDHC, SD, SDXC - exFAT for cards >32 GB, FAT32 for <32 GB; CompactFlash (CF) FAT32, will format memory cards in unit
- ± 0.2 ppm (0.5 frames per 24 hours)
Timecode and Sync:
- Modes Supported: off, Rec Run, Free Run, 24h Run, External
- Frame Rates: 23.976, 24, 25, 29.97DF, 29.97ND, 30DF, 30ND
- Accuracy: Ambient generator, 0.5 frame in 24 hr
- Time Code Input: 20k ohm impedance, 0.3 V - 3.0 V p-p (-17 dBu - +3 dBu)
- Time Code Output: 1k ohm impedance, 3.0V p-p (+12 dBu)
- Word In/Out: square wave; 10k/75 ohm, 1-5V p-p input; 75 ohm, 3.3V p-p output, at SR
- External: isolated 10-18 V on locking 4-pin Hirose connector, pin-4 = (+), pin-1 = (-).
- Internal: accepts five (5) NiMH, 1.5V Lithium, or Alkaline AA batteries. Note that run time will be very limited when using Alkaline batteries (30 minutes to one hour depending on settings). NiMH or Lithium batteries are the preferred type because of the approximate 2x to 4x run time compared to Alkalines.
- Operating: -20°C to 60°C, 0 to 90% relative humidity; (non-condensing) Storage: -40°C to 85°C
Dimensions and Weight:
- Dimensions: 5.3 cm x 32 cm x 19.8 cm (H x W x D) 2.1" x 12.6" x 7.8"
- Weight: 4 lbs. 12 oz. (unpackaged, without batteries)